Saturday, July 13, 2013

Favorite Craft Tools

We all have our favorite craft tools.  Some are costly and some are as simple and inexpensive as wooden craft sticks.  Some of my favorite craft tools  are actually are not craft tools, but items that I have repurposed for crafting... a dental pick,  tweezer, and wallpaper roller.
I use a dental pick (available at pharmacies) for many tasks.  When my fingers are too big to move tiny objects into place on a greeting card, I will use the pick to move them. It also slides easily under two pieces of paper that need to be taken apart.   It  helps to move items into place when taking photographs.  When I'm working with beads, I often will move or pick up the beads with the pick. 
The tweezer is used also to pick up beads and move them into place, as well.  I also like to use it when I need to add glue to the back of delicate die cuts and place them on a card.
When my bone folder is not handy, I use a wallpaper seam roller.  I fact, I probably use it more than the bone folder.  Its easier to hold, and more pressure can be applied with it.  When adhering two papers together, I use the roller over the card to make sure it sticks.  My only caution is,  when stamping, make sure the ink is completely dry before rolling over it, to avoid smears.

These are just some of my favorites...low cost and multi-purpose.


13 comments:

  1. What a clever use of tools for your card making!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post. Love low cost tools that are handy and are used more than the expensive ones! Thanks for sharing. Peace and joy . . . Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great information! I love seeing a window into how an item is made.

    Also, I'm not a cardmaker, but now you have me thinking about whether I could use a dental pick to help with any of my items!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, you've got me thinking what are my favorite tools? I like the idea that you have multipurpose tools at hand for your card making.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of the best tools are ones we discover ourselves. I use the small wallpaper roller also when I have a lot of seams coming together in one place. It works great and then I can press the fabric!
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have such a huge pile of tools on my work table that I can never find the one I need at the moment ;) I have used a dental pick for things, too. And without tweezers I could never tie those knots between beads on a necklace! Interesting and entertaining blog.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know I have my very fav tools as well and would go cray without a single one :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tips about the tools! Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's always interesting to see how people adapt tools for their needs - the dental pick would work great for jewelry making too. I'm always finding new uses for my kitchen tools that don't involve cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are great and inexpensive tools! Great for thinking outside the box. We all know how expensive 'real' crafting tools are, especially at Michaels, when you don't use the coupon.

    Adorebynat - Handmade Party Decorations and Stationery

    ReplyDelete
  11. What neat ideas! Thank you for sharing the tips and a look into your craft room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. Necessity really is the mother of invention. Good to give new lives to some tools we may have forgotten about. Sharing this post.

    ReplyDelete