Monday, July 29, 2013

Zucchini Anyone?

This summer we joined the local CSA ( Community Supported Agriculture) at our local farm.  We bought a half-share, since there are only two of us at home.  At this time of the summer, as any home gardener knows, zucchini is in abundance.  So, when we pick up our farm box on Tuesdays we are loaded up with zucchini.  (By the way, our CSA also supports our local food bank.)   But,what to do with all of that zucchini?  Well there's ratatouille - a great stew of zucchini, onions, tomatos and eggplant.  Eat a batch and freeze a batch.  There's also sauted zucchini with onions and yellow squash (leftovers go into an omelet for lunch the next day).  And then there's the old hippie standby zucchini bread.
This summer I came across two different recipes for this versatile vegetable, thanks to the Food Network.
The first one is an Ellie Kreiger recipe:
Zucchini Roll Ups
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/grilled-zucchini-rolls-with-herbs-and-cheese-recipe/index.html
For this recipe, herb goat cheese also works well.   It's also a great way to use up some of that basil in your garden.

Next is an Ina Garten recipe:
Zucchini Gratin
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/zucchini-gratin-recipe2/index.html

Both of these are going into my recipe rotation for the summer. 
I hope you'll give them a try.
Happy Cooking!

13 comments:

  1. I love gratin. I may have to try the roll-ups.

    One of my favorite ways to use up zucchini is to chop it up to add to tomato-based pasta sauces. I've also added it to stir-fry as an additional vegetable.

    I've heard of some people actually cutting it into long strips and eating it like pasta, but I've never bothered trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of zucchini around this time of year. I made some zucchini Parmesan chips that were really good.....baked in the oven....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zucchini is not plentiful at where I am now. The roll-ups looks good, and the Zucchini Parmesan chips sounds yummy too!

    Adorebynat - Handmade Party Decorations and Stationery

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cook zuchini in a skillet when I cook any meats. Just throw it and summer squash in. Also love it breaded and fried and boiled with bacon grease too.


    Stopping by from the Blogger's Guild
    <><
    http://Christiecottage.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just had some lovely yellow crookneck squash for lunch yesterday. It is one of my favorite vegetables.
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've not tried "zoodles," zucchini pasta, but it sounds good. My favorite way to serve zucchini is to roast it in the oven until it's tender, with olive oil and basil. Yum! I like zucchini bread, too. I have a recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Bread, which has chocolate chips in ti. Double yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The recipes sound wonderful and are ones I'll have to try. Thanks for sharing. I love eating zucchini raw, sliced for a snack or "noodled" for a salad. Favorite way to cook it is to cut them in half, slather in olive oil with a dash of sea salt and pepper and throw them on the grill, cut side down. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love zucchini and more recipes...love those too. It's great to hear that you have a CSA in your area. Bravo for supporting local food growing. Back in our boating days, we used to have a CSA subscription - our bags would have asparagus in the spring, peas, snap peas, fresh eggs, salad greens, beets of all colors, potatoes, and a wonderful variety of summer squashes: pattypan, yellow, green. I love roasting squash and red peppers and using them on a sandwich or as a topping for focaccia bread.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious and I just love zucchini this time of the year.
    Thanks for sharing the recipes.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  10. The recipes look great. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those recipes sound wonderful - filing away for the future! I make an award winning zucchini burrito recipe that I clipped out of the paper many years ago that is delicious. Even the meat eaters like it!

    Very cool that you participate in your CSA. There is nothing that comes close to fresh local produce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing the recipes look wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love zucchini, thanks for sharing the recipes.

    ReplyDelete